Fort Lauderdale guestguide 1956-1957

Sunday 24th September 2006 - 1:29:12 PM

The Tiki Central thread on ads for Polynesian Restaurants had me diggin this out to scan the ad for the Mai Kai. I am also preparing to take a lot of my collection to Hukilau. So, I decided to scan some of the images for this guide. 1957 is really a peak year for vintage style and there are some great views of the time here.

I had to start with this killer restaurant. Somebody tell me Doumar’s is still there and looks just the same! Click the image for the mega view.

Doumar's Fort Lauderdale Drive In

A color postcard of Doumar’s Drive Inn. Man I want to see this place at night!

Bahia Mar

The Bahia Mar, host to Hukilau 2004 and 2005 and where the action will be on Friday night this year.

Yes, you can bank from your car looking just awful like this woman!

Enjoy deep sea fishing!

Or shopping!

Mid-winter ice shows!

Causing a Hush when you enter the room!

Here you are arriving by plane!

And maybe stay or dine, etc. at the Yankee Clipper, which is the host hotel for this year’s Hukilau. They had a Polynesian review on the top floor back then.

Enjoy yourself Two Fathoms Down

mai kai

And of course, visit the newly opened Mai Kai!

Bookmarks: Favorites | | Blogroll | DiggIt!

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

1. MrBaliHai

Your blog apparently likes to eat my comments, or else it doesn’t approve of HTML, because I posted a link here earlier to an MP3 of Elvis singing, “The Fort Lauderdale Chamber of Commerce”.

Comment left on September 25, 2006 @ 8:34 pm

2. Swanky

No sign of that comment. There is always a delay as I must approve them first so no spam gets through, but, I dunno what happened. Try it again and we’ll see what happens.

Comment left on September 25, 2006 @ 10:47 pm

3. Kailey hopped over to Akron » Fort Lauderdale romantic getaway

[…] Fort Lauderdale guestguide 1956-1957 […]

Pingback left on September 26, 2006 @ 5:39 am

4. MrBaliHai

One more time.

Comment left on September 26, 2006 @ 6:20 am

5. Johntiki

Thanks for sharing this awesome piece of history!!

Comment left on September 26, 2006 @ 7:31 pm

6. virani

thanks for all that great archive.
    The Yankee clipper doesn’t have those polynesian rooms now, right ? Only the wreck room has survived ?

Comment left on October 1, 2006 @ 9:03 am

7. Swanky

The room has been remodeled. It looks nothing like the old Polynesian place at all.

Comment left on October 1, 2006 @ 3:26 pm

8. chrissy

My Granny belonged to the Yankee Clipper. We went there a lot when I was little – early 70’s. Ft. Lauderdale seemed like one long cocktail party back then.

Comment left on July 2, 2009 @ 1:06 pm

9. Meg

!My Grandpa owned the Town House and I have searched every where for something, pics, postcards…Thankyou. I was born in 1957 in Ft Lauderdale and my memory of the Town House is so slight. Gosh, what a suprise.

Comment left on October 13, 2009 @ 3:54 pm